Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Blast from the Past #23 repost: TMNT Volume 1 #2 unfinished inks

It's funny what you can find completely by accident. Back in 2001, I needed to check some old original artwork from the first TMNT comic book series to make sure that the tone patterns in the paper I was planning to use for the Vol. 4 TMNT book matched the old pages, so I looked in my folder of originals from TMNT #2. In that folder were some things I had completely forgotten about, including the two examples below.

These are copies I made of pages from TMNT #2 which Kevin and I had both penciled on and I had partially inked, prior to passing the pages back to Kevin for him to do his part of the inking (and, obviously, prior to doing the grey Duo-Shade tones). I must have made these copies for some reason, though I can't recall exactly why -- perhaps because at the time we were working on that issue, Kevin was living in Maine and I was living in Connecticut, and if I was mailing originals back to him I might have wanted to have some kind of record of what inking I'd done in case the pages got lost in the mail.



Back in the early days, when we were doing comic shows together, one of the most common questions was "How do you guys work together?" and it never ceased to amaze me that so many people just couldn't quite comprehend that both of us worked on penciling, inking and toning each and every page of the artwork. (In fact, a lot of people couldn't quite get the fact the one of us wasn't "the writer" and the other one "the artist".) I wish I had remembered that I had these copies when we were asked those questions.



I also wish I had done this kind of copying on all of the pages we worked on together -- it would have been cool to be able to see what each of us had done on each page. Right now, looking back over all those years, it's difficult to say for sure who inked what, although there are some things that stand out. -- PL

4 comments:

  1. -->> ..do you recall how long this inking process between you and Kevin ?? I mean all this mailing from start to to the time of publish .. between lost mail, ect. for one issue ?? Makes one's head spin really.

    The internet has totally changed this.

    Jeess .. god wow.

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  2. -->> ..gonna make a simple but half-ass guess of about 5 - 6 months .. between 1 & 2 of v.1 .

    >v<

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~ tOkKa said...
    -->> ..do you recall how long this inking process between you and Kevin ?? I mean all this mailing from start to to the time of publish .. between lost mail, ect. for one issue ?? Makes one's head spin really.

    The internet has totally changed this.

    Jeess .. god wow.

    >v<

    October 15, 2008 3:45 AM


    ~ tOkKa said...
    -->> ..gonna make a simple but half-ass guess of about 5 - 6 months .. between 1 & 2 of v.1 .

    >v<


    Dave, I don't remember exactly how long the inking itself took, but back then we could do a 32 to 40 page book in a bit under two months -- just about enough time to get it out on a bimonthly basis. -- PL

    ReplyDelete